You Love Fruits, But Are You Eating Them The Right Way?
New Delhi: Fruits are the purest and most natural source of energy. Filled with richness of vitamin C, fibre, potassium and antioxidants, fruits guard us against several ailment and diseases. Right from preventing hair fall and poor eyesight to fighting Alzheimer’s, fruits always come to the rescue. However, for fruits to be truly effective, and for us to derive the maximum goodness from them, they need to be consumed at a particular time. When consumed the right way, they improve our digestions and increase our vitamin intake. Nutritionist specialist Ekta Verma Tandon tells us the right way and right time for getting the best from our fruits.
Fruit intake: Dos and Donts:
- Eat fruits on an empty stomach, either 2 hrs prior or post your meal.
- Eating fruits on an empty stomach prevents indigestion, heart burn or burping.
- Following this pattern processes the nutrients, fibres and simples sugar better, thereby improving our digestive system.
Implementation: Dos and Donts
- Consume fruits in intervals; space out the intake between your meals.
- A mid-morning snack i.e. between breakfast and lunch is the best time to eat fruits.
- Fruits should mostly be eaten before noon, as eating them later in the evening could give a sudden energy boost, thus disturbing your sleeping pattern.
- Avoid eating fruits for breakfast as they can spike your body sugar levels. It can also increase your hunger levels.
- When having fruit juice, make sure it is freshly made just before drinking. Do not ever consume heated juice or canned juice.
- Cooked fruits are a big no as the nutrients die and only the taste remains.
- The best way to eat fruit is to eat it whole.
Ideal amount of fruit consumption per day
Dietitians recommend atleast 5 servings each day and every serving shouldn’t exceed the palm size of your hand. The amount can vary depending upon the individual diet plan. High intake isn’t advisable for people who have diabetes or the ones on a strict diet plan.
Must have Fruits
With every fruit, the combination of vitamins and nutrients differ. Health benefits vary depending on the fruit one is having. Here is a list of popular fruits and their health benefits.
Also Read: How To Build Muscles On A Vegetarian Diet