NDTV’s 7 Point Agenda on Road Safety Presented to the Government
Indian roads are the most dangerous in the world. Sadly, a majority of innocent lives are lost due to irresponsible behaviour behind the wheel, including drunken or under-age driving. In an effort to make India’s roads safer, Diageo-NDTV Road to Safety campaign presents a 7 point agenda to the government on the following aspects of road safety:
- Replace the existing Motor Vehicles Act with a strong national road safety law and ensure its implementation.
- Improve investigation of road accidents by using latest technology and establish a unified national database.
- Ensure strict enforcement against drunken-driving and provision of alcometers in every Police station in India.
- Enact a Good Samaritan Law to provide protection, from legal hassles, to bystanders and passers-by who assist injured victims.
- Ensure safety of Vulnerable Road Users: Pedestrians, Cyclists and Two Wheelers
- Support the Prime Minister towards the development of the new 100 Smart Cities with Safe Road infrastructure design.
- Training of police to enable road crash investigation via scientific methods to identify the factual causes and consequences of road crashes.